Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Tarot Reading

I performed my first Tarot reading with a Rider-Waite Tarot deck. Spread method: Celtic Cross. Question asked: What is the meaning of Part I of my blog?

SIGNIFICATOR CARD: KNIGHT OF CUPS


In order to arrive at my Significator card, I used a method that used both choice and chance. I split the deck into four piles. I placed my hand over every pile, trying to sense an energy or drawnness to that particular pile. After feeling drawn to a particular deck, I went through it, consulted it. I chose the card that I felt best represented my persona (or EPS): the Knight of Cups. A few notes on the Knight of Cups: the most feminine of the knights, though still a knight; well-mannered, though manipulative (though their is a certain logic and reason to his manipulation and, as such, has an aptitude for "reading people"); keeps private self to himself; sends mixed messages; can be charming, though duplicitous. In short, the Knight of Cups is an intense personification of whirl-pool neurosis. 

CARD THAT FELL OUT OF DECK WHILE SHUFFLING: 4 of SWORDS


I sided with methods that encourage one to put aside a card that falls out of the deck while shuffling. This element of fault/chance/accident should be taken into strong consideration with the reading at large. A few brief notes about this card: clarity; calm; a period of peace. In short, STOP WORRYING!

MY SPREAD


1. PRESENT: QUEEN OF PENTACLES. General notes: dark woman; presents from a rich relative; rich and happy marriage
2. IMMEDIATE CHALLENGE: THE HIGH PRIESTESS. General notes: veiled in mystery; pure potentiality; unconscious; intuition; shadow
3. DISTANT PAST: WHEEL OF FORTUNE. General notes: luck; success; everything connected in cycle; destiny; change to have happened
4. RECENT PAST: KING OF PENTACLES. General notes: stability; golden touch; all business; old methods of thinking
5. IMMEDIATE FUTURE: THE TOWER. General notes: dated beliefs; adversity; distress; misery
6. BEST OUTCOME: 2 of WANDS. General notes: directing energy (will); will to self/power; friendship
7. FACTORS AFFECTING SITUATION: TEMPERANCE. General notes: economy; moderation; management; incorporate fears affectively; need for balance
8. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES: JUSTICE. General notes: equity; rightness; probity; two fundamental laws: 1. cause and effect and, 2. karma; the past informs the future
9. HOPES AND FEARS: 8 of CUPS. General notes: stagnant swamp; wake-up call; lack of motivation; barren wasteland; wisdom in void
10. FINAL OUTCOME: THE SUN. General notes: light and life; reliability; contentment; illumination. 

GENERAL READING

I am going to start my reading by focusing on two cards that are often read as a coupling: the 5 card (Immediate Future) and the 10 card (Final Outcome). Both of these cards were major arcana cards, and they starkly contrasted each other--though in the more desired direction. The Tower seems to gesture towards the undergoing called for and experienced during Part I of my blog: revisiting past and having a present rupture, expressed by and through a reflection on past living environments and an internal mediation of my present living environment (in all sense and senses: state of mind and attitude [Einstellung], visual percepts, sound, etc). The Tower is familiar, but the Tower must be laid to waste (because it is so familiar). Of course, it is not easy to voluntarily head into the Valley of the Uncanny. This is why one is often thrown from the Tower (re-thrownness), as it burns and collapses into rubble. The positive of this is new creation ("new dreams, new dreams; there is no truth" as my Motto from Yeats reads); it is, in other words, The Sun. Of course, this does not merely happen in a linear fashion, as the meaning of some of the other cards in my spread demonstrate. Both the Wheel of Fortune (Distant Past) and Justice (External Influences) gesture towards the manner in which the past informs the future, the necessity of both cause and effect and karma, destiny and connectedness. I think the aesthetic undergoing in Part I of my blog, and my negotiation with limit, Daimon, and Nemesis, brings forth the understanding of EPS as Moment that is not here or there, but crystallized into a persona that constantly and recursively undergoing in connection and various of flight (see: D&G's Rhizome as my Emblem in Part I). I find the Present (Queen of Pentacles) and the Immediate Challenge (High Priestess) to also be very interesting draws: both are, to differing degrees, dark women. My present happiness with my blog presents (immediately) the next challenge: to focus on how to take these still somewhat unconscious drives, these pure potentialities (potente), that I have approached in Part I and move them more fully from the shadows and into the light (to be connected to my Final Outcome, The Sun). Of course, Factors Affecting the Situation (and such a move or turn) is Temperance (see: Allegory of Prudence in general)--and this must not be forgotten along the way. The Hopes and Fears card made me giggle, to be honest, because it seems to have the most direct (re)presentation of the disaster at hand: stagnant swamp. However, the hope of the card rests in the ability to draw wisdom from the void (the (w)hole). We should also note the Best Outcome, which is an effective directing of energy towards will and self-empowerment, or towards what I would consider "well-being." 

No comments:

Post a Comment